Soil Mechanics Civil Engineering MCQ Questions Answers
1) Which of the following type of soil is transported by gravitational forces ?
d) Dune sand
2) The soil often found in areas of poor drainage with high evaporation is
3) The collapsible soil is associated with
a) dune sands
b) laterite soils
d) black cotton soils
4) The ratio of voids to total volume of soil mass is called
(a) void ratio
(c) degree of saturation
(d) water content ratio
5) Bentonite is a material obtained due to the weathering of
c) volcanic ash
6) Shrinkage limit is defined as ______
(a) the limit of water content that represents the boundary between plastic and semi-solid state.
(b) the lowest water content at which soil can still be completely saturated.
(c) the water content at which the soil shows shearing resistance as the water content is reduced.
(d) none of the above
7) Relative density of a compacted dense sand is approximately equal to
8) The moisture content of a clayey soil is gradually reduced from a large value. The correct
sequence of the occurrence of the limit are
(a) plastic limit, liquid limit and shrinka ge limit .
(b) shrinkage limit, plastic limit and liquid limit.
(c) liquid limit, plastic limit and shrinkage limit.
(d) plastic limit, shrinkage limit and liquid limit.
9) Liquid limit of a soil indicates its
c) optimum moisture content
d) shear strength
10) If the direction of flow of water is parallel to the planes of stratification, the permeability is
______ times more than in a direction perpendicular to them.
(a) 2 to 10
(b) 2 to 20
(c) 2 to 30
(d) 2 to 40